Monday, May 18, 2009

Giving or Tithe?


There are still a good majority of believers who use the term tithe to reference the portion of income given to the God through the church. Is tithe an Old Testament term? Should churches use giving in place of tithe? Regardless of the term used, make sure the congregation understands the definition of the term.

 

I notice in traditional churches, the term tithe is most often used to define the portion of income given to God through the church. This term can have a negative effect on giving. Here is why, the term tithe indicates a minimum necessary in giving. Quite often, many individuals do not give more then the tithe (ten percent); they have given what is required. This is not the case overall—but it does happen.

 

Many non-traditional churches utilize giving to indicate the portion of income given to God through the church. Tithe is not often used but the principle of tithe is taught without focusing on the term. The term giving allows individuals to incorporate all they do for the church into one term. “I give to the church through helping in Sunday school.” The use of giving rather than tithe, can limit financial support; many individuals believe their giving includes service and not just a reference to finance.        

 

My experience with either term is about the same. The terms used are not as important as the definition of the terms. Pastors and church leadership most clearly communicate the definition of terms. One caveat, avoid the use of stewardship when discussing monetary giving. The term is too broad and inappropriately used when discussing the topic of money.     


If you find this post informative or thought provoking, email it to a friend.

1 comment:

  1. I like your blog brother and your subject matter! And I'm hear commenting because I finally realized that you posted on my blog. Thank you for your comment and sorry for the delay in my response to you.

    I wanted to comment on this particular post because I find errors with it. Though, I agree with your motive, I do not agree with some of your stratigies to solve tithing/giving problems within The Church.

    I'll preface by saying that everything that I have to say is my opinion based on how I interpret The Word.

    I believe that there is a distinct difference between tithing and giving. We are commanded to tithe and I believe tithing applies the same now as it did before Christ. Giving is in addition to tithing. We are asked to give in addition to tithing (i.e. good works).

    Tithing and giving is ALL about faith and regardless of where and and how it is disscussed, I do not believe using a "business" approach to the subject is appropriate. Using marketing tactics my work but that is, in my opinion, trying to make something happen. It is not our resposibility to make things happen. All we need to do is share God's Word and allow God to do the rest (i.e. fight and deal with His own issues).

    If a particular church is lacking in tithes and giving, there may be a very good reason for that. Maybe (and I mean maybe) God doesn't approve of how that church is being managed/led. God is soureign and He does not need us to solve His problems because He has none. Our problems are not His therefore, making our problems His is a result of lack of faith.

    Finally, I believe the true root to our problem of tithing and giving is directly related to our nation's culture. Our culture has been cultivated into a self-serving society. As a result most Christians fall victim to self-centeredness. My opinion is that this problem will only continue to grow and that is why I do my part in helping to build God's Kingdom on Earth through education. In addition, because our society is founded on and promotes self-centeredness, churches that focus on that do very well. Churches like Lakewood in Houston led by Joel Osteen do thrive because they promote self-centered ideology. Joel's catch phrase is "live in victory" which sounds good and it is. However, one must know how he uses this measage. Joel rarely, if never, uses scripture in his measages (he admitted this on 60 minutes or 20/20, I don't recall which). Also, his measages are always about milk and honey ("you" can live victoriously because God will provide in abundance). He rarely, if never, provides meaty measages or measages that tap into deep, real and tough issues that will face us from time to time. Therefore, when Joel's followers come encounter with tough issues, they mostly do not know how to respnd to God appropriately. I used to live in Houston and I have attended his services on three back to back occasions.

    When people are coddled, distracted from hard truths and made to feel good all of the time, tend to return to that source, support it and become addicted to it. On the flip side, churches that focus on The Body of Christ (fellowship) and tough issues sometimes do not thrive because people don't want to hear how they must work very hard to maintain a strong faith and understanding of God.

    ReplyDelete

If you find this post informative or thought provoking, email it to a friend.